Robert Arns is the founder of The Arns Davis Law Firm, which is a 10-lawyer plaintiffs’ firm with offices in San Francisco and Reno. Bob has exclusively specialized in prosecuting plaintiff civil cases his whole career including
- Consumer Class Actions involving banking, internet, defective products, employment issues, and any other consumer protection issues
- Mass Torts
- Elder Abuse
- Individual cases including representing families dealing with catastrophic injuries and death
Bob always introduces himself as a “family lawyer”. He has represented families across the United States in the actions described above. To Bob, “family lawyer” does not mean a lawyer who represents a husband or wife going through a marital dispute. Rather, a “family lawyer” is a lawyer who has the grave responsibility of regaining the family dignity that existed before a tragedy occurred and getting the family justice and economic freedom.
Bob takes his career as a plaintiff lawyer very seriously but does not take himself very seriously.
Bob grew up in Portland, Oregon in a loving family where his dad never graduated from high school and his mom’s highest education was high school. His family had very few possessions and no money. He had a paper route and did lawn jobs until age 14. Then, he got a job as a bag boy at an Albertson’s grocery store. He worked full-time in the store starting his sophomore year in high school. By age 16 Bob achieved journeyman status in the union as a checker and working the produce department. As a junior, the store put Bob in charge of night stock two days a week which did not help his high school grades. Bob says he got his “MBA” by the time he graduated from high school as he learned so much from his coworkers and supervisors who were years older.
Bob would not change this crucible of “hard work to survive” for anything – it taught him how to achieve any goal.
Bob’s brother Dave, who was two years older, started sending editorials to newspapers and magazines starting at age 12. Dave ended up getting a PhD in History, which inspired Bob to understand world affairs at an early age.
Some of Bob’s accomplishments include:
- Resolving well over $1.5 billion of paid results for plaintiffs through trials and settlements.
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Trial Lawyer of the Year and finalist many times and Life Time Achievement Award
- Finalist for The Consumer Attorneys of California Trial Lawyer of the Year many times.
- Taught trial practice as an adjunct professor at the University of San Francisco School of Law for 21 years (with Tom Brandi)
- The Arns Brandi Trial Center at USF will be revealed this year. It is a certificate program that ensures a hiring law firm that the young lawyer has completed seven “practical” classes and the lawyer knows how to take a case to trial from completing necessary discovery, finishing pre-trial prep and motions in limine, becoming an evidence master, giving an opening statement, presenting a case in chief with superb direct and cross-examination skills, and final argument. Tom Brandi and Bob have co-taught the Trial Practice class together for 21 years.
- USF Law School Professor of the Year in 2010 and Alumni of the Year in 2009
- Graduated from UC Santa Barbara with Highest Honors in 1971 with a degree in English Literature, then worked on a PhD in English for one year.
- Graduated from USF School of Law in 1975 where he received a full scholarship and graduated in the top 5% of the class, managing editor of the law review, and moot court champion
- Author of the best-selling Rutter Group publications The Evidence Wheel and The Trial Wheel – both California and Federal versions – which are used by trial lawyers and judges throughout the United States.
- Member of the American Board Of Trial Advocates. Bob has presented the ABOTA “Masters of Trial” (MIT) (also called “The Best of the Best Trial Lawyers”) over ten times. In 2022 and 2023, Bob was team Captain for the plaintiff presenters and used one of his prior trials for the 8-hour trial presentation. Bob has also frequently presented the ABOTA Civility seminars
- Presenter of too many seminars regarding trial practice and evidence to mention.
- Board Member Bay Area Legal Aid
- Bob and his wife Anne participated with Legal Aid of Napa Valley for seven years including having California Supreme Court Justices give amazing presentations at their home in Napa (Bob’s primary residence is in Napa)
- Bringing meritorious lawsuits for amazing families including undocumented immigrants and future CEOs of Fortune 40 Corporations — and having the gratification of knowing that Arns Davis Law provided economic security for many families.
- Bob has many prized possessions he has received from his clients after the resolution of their cases. One of his most cherished possessions is a beautiful eagle sculpture, which reads, “Thank you for giving our family freedom.”
- Owner of Arns Davis Law Firm building at 515 Folsom St. which houses the firm
- The Arns Davis Law space includes a set up to mock try cases to 36 mock jurors and break up into 3 jury panels of 12 in three separate deliberation rooms (one of the deliberation rooms is viewable through a one way mirror).
Bob’s other interests include:
- Ownership of Tournesol Winery and vineyards in Napa growing grapes and producing Bordeaux style wines – this is where Bob and Anne developed a passion for helping immigrant families who were amazing and incredibly hard workers
- Real estate ventures including the Arns Davis Law building in San Francisco, Baranof Wilderness Lodge in Alaska, and numerous other residential and commercial properties
- Staying fit at any cost by working out daily, golf, cycling, flyfishing, any outdoor activities
- Being with family as much as possible – and friends after that
- Philanthropy dealing with the art of giving back in academic, athletic, food banks, legal aid and other ways
Bob is very fortunate to have total balance in life mainly because of his wife Anne. They celebrated their 50th anniversary. Their son Christopher and daughter Allison are their best friends along with their spouses and their five grandchildren (who are beyond comprehension).
Bob also thanks the great lawyers and legal assistants at Arns Davis Law Firm for helping him achieve balance in his life.