The United States and California constitutions, along with a string of historic federal and state statutes, recognize and name a series of civil rights that are integral parts of our lives, providing protection from abuse by public and private institutions. Preserving our civil rights requires vigilance. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment or abuse, if you are denied a job or benefits because of your race, gender, or sexual orientation, or if you have been retaliated against because of protected activity, your civil rights may have been violated.
Our democracy is firmly rooted in respecting the human and civil rights of our citizens. At Arns Davis Law, our skilled and experienced civil rights attorneys will aggressively pursue your claims in order to compensate you for the harm caused and your financial losses, but also to preserve our democracy.
We Protect Your Civil Rights
Government—federal, state, or local agencies—can act in violation of your civil rights. Arns Davis Law is ready to defend and preserve those rights on your behalf. Examples of government violation of civil rights include:
- Sexual Abuse: sexual harassment, assault, and unconsented touching under the guise of medical treatment are violations of your bodily autonomy and actionable under several federal and state laws
- Elder Abuse: nursing homes that do not provide sufficient care, dignity, respect, and humanity to their residents may be in violation of federal and state laws, including the Patients’ Bill of Rights.
- Police misconduct: false arrest, racial profiling, excessive use of force, and police brutality are all activities that cause physical and emotional harm as well as harm to our democracy
- Discrimination: action by a business or public agency that is based on race, gender, age, disability, national origin, religion, or political affiliation may be actionable as violations of civil rights
- Detainment: you don’t lose your civil rights in prison. Prisoners retain the right to be free from false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, and unsafe living conditions.
How Can We Help?
Private citizens can file suit against government entities, universities, and businesses as a way of restraining abuse. Arns Davis Law prosecutes civil rights actions as class actions, allowing injured parties to enforce civil rights and seek dredress for themselves and all other similarly situated people. In addition to monetary damages, these actions often seek institutional change to ensure nobody has to suffer the same violations in the future.
Pending Cases and Recent Results
Here are some of the pending civil rights cases we are pursuing and recent results we have achieved for our clients
- $12 million on behalf of a class of nursing home residents who alleged they were denied proper care
- $5 million for former student-athletes at San Jose State University who were sexually harassed by an athletic trainer
- Settlement for pain and suffering and emotional distress in an excessive force case for a young man who suffered injuries due to a police officer’s use of a K9 unit
- Settlement for migrant workers who alleged they were falsely imprisoned without pay
- Ongoing class action lawsuit against San Jose State University relating to alleged failure to stop ongoing sexual abuse committed by athletic trainer for over a decade
When You Need a Civil Rights Team in the San Francisco Bay Area, Call Arns Davis Law
At Arns Davis Law, we guide our clients with dignity and respect throughout the legal process from initial consultation through verdict or settlement. Being the victim of civil rights violations requires that you surround yourself with people who will advocate for your best interests. That advocacy needs to be supported by a thorough knowledge of the law, experience with negotiation and litigation, and genuine people skills. Add to the mix a devotion to ethical principles and passion. That’s what we offer to you at Arns Davis Law. Our attorneys will listen, ask the right questions, and use their legal knowledge and experience to forge a strategy to hold defendants accountable for your injury and full compensation for your economic and non-economic losses.
Call Arns Davis Law or contact us online to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers.